So, I retired. Now I'm busier than ever and moving to Mexico, the place where all these truly awesome kids seem to originate. I'm married, on March 26, 2012, to one of their dads. Amazing. And the adventure has been awesome. As we wait to go, there have been numerous opportunities to love on God by loving on kids. Like the day we had a lesson in Sunday School about the "giants in the promised land." By the way, I never want to forget that "giants" and "promised land" go together!
So here I am in Sunday School, thinking, "what can these little kids from loving families have difficulties with?"
"Ms. Steph, my giant is that I have cysts on my ovaries." - This from a 12 year old girl who looks like she has it all together.
"My giant is the bullies at school. They tell me I'm ugly and they don't like my hair. But I just tell myself that I'm beautiful on the inside." - She's 13, beautiful, and mixed race, black and white. Later, out of ear shot of other kids, I ask how she feels about this. That's when the tears come and I see that this "giant" she dismissed so easily in class is hurting her heart deeply.
"My giant is that I get nervous and can't talk in class when the teacher asks a question." - He's 8, sociable, outgoing, friendly and kind. Who knew?
"My giant is that my parents fight a lot. And I have nightmares of things in my room." - She's 9, also outgoing and sociable. This little one with night terrors after her parents' fights.
So, they aren't gangsters, they are innocent in many ways, but even these Sunday School little ones must deal with life unequipped for its viciousness. Lord, let me lead them to You. You said I could.
Love You, Jesus.
Steph
Friday, March 14, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment